Prof. Dr. Okyay Kaynak
PROF. DR. OKYAY KAYNAK
ADDRESS: DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING, BOGAZICI UNIVERSITY, BEBEK, 34342 ISTANBUL / TURKEY
Okyay Kaynak received the B.Sc. (first-class honors) and Ph.D. degrees in electronic and electrical engineering from the University of Birmingham, Birmingham, U. K., in 1969 and 1972, respectively.
From 1972 to 1979, he held various positions within the industry that included 3.5 years in Saudi Arabia, working as a project engineer. In 1979, he joined the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey. He has served as the Chairman of the Computer Engineering and the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Departments and as the Director of Biomedical Engineering Institute at this university. Currently he is an Emeritus Professor, holding the title of UNESCO Chair on Mechatronics.
He has hold long-term (near to or more than a year) Visiting Professor/Scholar positions at various institutions in Saudi Arabia, Japan, Germany, U.S., Singapore and China. He was, in 2013, awarded the prestigious “1000 People” Program professorship at Harbin Institute of Technology, China. His present affiliation is with University of Science and Technology Beijing, China.
Dr. Kaynak’s current research interests are in the broad field of intelligent systems. He has authored three books, edited five and authored or coauthored more than 400 papers that have appeared in various journals, books and conference proceedings.
Dr. Kaynak is a fellow of IEEE. He is or has served on the Editorial or Advisory Boards of a number of scholarly journals. He was the Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics during 2005-2006, IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics during 2014-2016 and Co-Editor in Chief of IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics during 2009-2012.
Dr. Kaynak is active in international organizations, has served on many committees of IEEE and was the president of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society during 2002-2003. He received IEEE Third Millennium Medal (2001), IEEE/IES Anthony J. Hornfeck Service Award (2005) and IEEE/IES Dr.-Ing. Eugene Mittelman Achievement Award (2011). Most recently, he received the China Friendship Award (2016) and Humboldt Research Prize (2016).
The publications below are “highly cited” as per Clavirate Analytics. The citation numbers are as of 14 January 2019
- S. Yin, H. Yang, O. Kaynak, “Sliding Mode Observer-Based FTC for Markovian Jump Systems with Actuator and Sensor Faults,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, v.62, no:7, pp. 3551-3558, July 2017 (Times Cited: 47).
- S. Yin, J. Qiu, H. Gao and O. Kaynak, “Descriptor Reduced-Order Sliding Mode Observers Design for Switched Systems with Sensor and Actuator Faults,” Automatica, v.76, pp. 282–292, Feb. 2017 (Times Cited: 99).
- B. Xiao, S. Yin and O. Kaynak, “Tracking Control of Robotic Manipulators with Uncertain Kinematics and Dynamics,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, v. 63, no: 10, pp. 6439-6449, Oct. 2016 (Times Cited: 59).
- W. Sun, Y. Zhang, Y. Huang, H. Gao, O. Kaynak, "Transient-performance-guaranteed robust adaptive control and its application to precision motion control systems," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, v. 63, no: 10, pp. 6510-6518, Oct. 2016 (Times Cited: 48).
- W. Sun, H. Gao and O. Kaynak, “Vibration Isolation for Active Suspensions With Performance Constraints and Actuator Saturation,” IEEE/ASME Trans. On Mechatronics, v. 20, no. 2, pp. 675-683, Apr. 2015 (Times Cited: 115).
- Yin, X. Zhu and O. Kaynak, “Improved PLS Focused on Key Performance Indictor Related Fault Diagnosis,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, v. 63, no:3, pp. 1651-1658, March 2015 (Times Cited: 297).
- Yin, X. Li, H. Gao and O. Kaynak, “Data-Based Techniques Focused on Modern Industry: An Overview,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, v. 62, no. 1, pp. 657-667, Jan. 2015 (Times Cited: 443).
- W. Sun, H. Gao and O. Kaynak, “Adaptive Backstepping Control for Active Suspension Systems with Hard Constraints,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, v.18, no:3, pp. 1072-1079, June 2013 (Times Cited: 160)
- L. Zhang, H. Gao and O. Kaynak,”Network-Induced Constraints in Networked Control Systems – A Survey,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics, v.9, no:1, pp, 403-416, February 2013 (Times Cited: 530).
- Sun, H. Gao and O. Kaynak, “Finite Frequency H_infinity Control for Vehicle Active Suspension Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, v. 19, pp. 416-422, March 2011 (Times Cited: 237).
- E. Kayacan, B. Ulutas and O. Kaynak, “Grey System Theory-based Models in Time Series Prediction,” Expert Systems with Applications. v. 37, no: 2, pp. 1784-1789, March 2010 (Times Cited: 368).
- X. Yu and O. Kaynak, “Sliding Mode Control with Soft Computing: A Survey,” IEEE Trans. Indust. Electronics, v. 56, no: 9, pp. 3275-3285, Sept. 2009 (Times Cited: 255).